Tuesday, June 23, 2015

MFT Summer School Lesson #2: Focal Point

The next lesson from MFT Summer School session is also about composition -


- it's all about focal point. You can learn more about this design principle HERE

If you know my card making style, you know that I generally like to make a bold statement, and I have often turned to using the color black to do so. Black, or any bold color, can help draw the eye in to a focal point. 


As you can see here on my card, I chose a light, airy color palette, but designed a cluster of bold, bright yellow with the bold pop of black to create a focal point, somewhere the eye naturally travels because of the interest you have created. I used a bold sentiment stamp with a visually interesting font - from LJD Grand Greetings set. Another important aspect in creating the focal point on a card is to keep the rest of the card simple, and not too busy. You don't want anything else to distract the eye away from the focal point.

Great lesson MFT, one that I suppose I already practiced, without ever realizing! :)
xoxo
rae

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful card! I love the colors you chose along with the sweet dotty butterfly!
    Congratulations for being a Top of the Class pick at My Favorite Things! Well deserved with this fabulous design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful card! I love the colors you chose along with the sweet dotty butterfly!
    Congratulations for being a Top of the Class pick at My Favorite Things! Well deserved with this fabulous design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to have "friends like you" create such a striking card for me! Congrats on a well deserved win. Thanks for the inspiration......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I accidentally (happily) stumbled across your blog...directed from MFT. I'm so glad I did. I must tell you I love this card. I don't know....but, here's something so lovely about it. I think you are right about the color black directing my eye to your focal point. The card speaks to me...its soft & mellow, yet has that boldness about it. Job well done. BTW...I'm subscribing to your blog and I'll follow. Thx

    ReplyDelete